This month we talk through some Amazon Echo skills and Mike (the 1st) reminisces about Chipmunks…
To get started with an Amazon Echo you use the ‘wake word’ “Alexa” followed by a command. For example “Alexa, what time is it?”. Then Alexa replies with a spoken answer. Some of the things we cover in the video are:
- … play [BBC Radio 2] / [Country hits radio] (see note below as listening to BBC stations has changed since we recorded this)
- … stop (probably the most useful command)
- … set volume level [1-10]
- … set a reminder (for a date/time)
- … what reminders do I have
- … set a timer for minutes/hours
- and more…
Having problems? Watch it on YouTube here.
Links to the items we mention:
- In this episode Mike and Jess talk a lot about the Amazon Echo Dot – if you’re curious to find out more or would like one yourself please click here*
- Amazon’s full set of Alexa Skills (scroll down the page to “Basic Commands”) – List last updated January 23, 2019
- Mike’s Chipmunks
- Country Hits radio – even if you don’t have an Amazon Echo you can listen online. (I’m listening to this as I write this journal post)
What’s changed since we recorded this?
- In the video we mention playing BBC Radio 2. The BBC has just (yesterday) changed the way BBC radio plays on an Amazon Alexa, to find out the latest check with the BBC Smart Speaker help page here
Mike & Jess
*As an Amazon Associate The Helpful Book Company earn from qualifying purchases.